Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Being Prepared

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about preparedness and what it takes to be prepared for whatever life throws at you. And although none of us know what the future holds, one thing I've learned is that it's never what you expect. But that doesn't mean we can't be prepared in some basic areas like having our finances in order, getting out of debt, preparing a will, having a basic food and water supply to last anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 years, and being emotionally prepared for change. Easy to say (or write, as the case may be), but not always so easy to do, and I have a long way to go.

Living in an apartment with limited living space, let alone storage space, it's been hard to get real excited about provident living, food storage, gardening, etc. However, last fall we cleaned off a couple of shelves in the basement and just organized the cans and boxes of food that we already had. It was a start. I bottled tomatoes and applesauce and added those to the shelves. It was another step in the process. Two weeks ago I planted 7 tomato plants and 1 cucumber in the tiny planter box that separates our apartment from the owner's garage. Again, it's a baby step, but everything we do adds up to increase our peace of mind.

So now I want to put in a plug for my sister's blog: www.positivelyprepared.blogspot.com. The subtitle of her blog is "fun with food storage, finances, and more" - but trust me, that's only the beginning. There's information about budgeting, gardening, getting out of debt, and some great ideas for getting and using food storage. Way to go, sis! Keep up the great posts.

There's a quote that says "Wisdom is knowledge rightly applied." Well, I have knowledge about a lot of these things, and now I'm starting to apply what I've learned, and hoping, one day, to be a little closer to wisdom.

P.S. I'm also learning that establishing food storage with a man in the house is VERY different than doing it for 1 woman. Another little surpise about married life - it's a lot better for the relationship to store things that everyone in the house likes. Now I just have to figure out how to get it on the shelves before it gets eaten. Any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. Lori, It is so good to hear from you. Great ideas! I am going to check out your sisters blog. Also I am still working on my homemade gifts. You will get one sometime this year. Please forgive me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Even if you label something "DO NOT EAT" it will get eaten!!! I think somehow dad doesn't see the label...I still haven't figured out how that works:)
    You're better off hiding anything you don't want him to eat!! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete