Sunday, March 27, 2011

Instant Sunshine - kind of

It's been a cold dark winter, and it seems like it's been going on forever. . . well, at least since last October or so.  And while I'm ready for spring, mother nature just isn't cooperating.  Until then, I've added a splash of color with a new tablecloth. . . or two.



With 45 inches of bright fabric and a few minutes of sewing, I get a pop of color that brightens my spirits.   Buy the fabric on sale, and my spirits are even brighter.

For each tablecloth:

Purchase 45 inches (1 1/4 yards) of 44/45 inch cotton or polyester/cotton fabric.   If there are printing marks ( color squares or writing) on the selvages, you will need to trim and hem those ends.  Otherwise, turn the cut ends under twice and sew with a straight seam.  I find it easiest to press each end under about 1/4 inch, then fold the fabric again and press it.  By taking a few minutes to press the hems before sewing them, I don't have to pin the hem.  Anything that makes life a little easier works for me.

These tablecloths can be used by themselves on small kitchen tables.  For larger tables, put the new tablecloth over a solid color tablecloth.  It makes a bright accent.  For about $5.00 per tablecloth (with fabric purchased on sale), I'm smiling each time I walk through the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment