Friday, January 23, 2009

A good day for soup

It's a cold gray day in western NY (as so many of them are) at the end of a L-O-O-O-N-G week. Been working on resolving a nasty issue at work which has consumed most of my waking hours for the last week or so. And, just an aside, why is it that the work days in weeks that begin with a holiday seem to just drag on?

I'll admit, I was in a rather grumpy mood as I left the desk to check the kitchen for lunch fixings. Hmmm. Quite honestly, I was hoping that the kitchen fairies had magically stocked the fridge and cupboards with delightful tidbits that were just waiting to be eaten for lunch. In case you are wondering, the fairies missed this house while making their rounds this week, leaving the pickings rather slim.

But - a few of the "less desirable" veggies were still available in the fridge, and seemed to be calling out to make soup. Without another thought, I had the onions chopped and sauteeing while I scavenged other goodies: celery, garlic, carrots, cabbage, canned diced tomatoes, and chicken broth. Within 15 minutes, the soup was simmering and I was back at work anticipating homemade soup. Thirty minutes later, I was enjoying hot, delicious homemade soup. It didn't make the work go away, didn't raise the temperature outdoors, and didn't make the sun come out - at least not outside. But, it did something for me and changed my grumpiness into appreciation for some of the things I tend to take for granted. It's good to take time for ourselves - something I tend not to do consistently.

A bonus was that the soup tasted good, real good, too! And it was healthy. And there's a big bowl sitting in the freezer for another day.

I hesitate to share my thrown-together recipe for quick veggie soup with all the great cooks in the family, but here's how I did it:


3 onions, chopped
5 ribs of celery, chopped
3 large cloves garlic, chopped (bought this at the farmer's market - it seems more mild than what I usually buy at the grocery store)
5 large carrots, sliced
1/2 of a large head of cabbage, thinly sliced
1 (14-oz) can chicken broth
1 (28-oz) can petite diced tomatoes
1 quart water
6 chicken bouillon cubes

In a 5-quart dutch oven, saute onions in 2 TB vegetable oil while preparing the rest of the veggies. Add celery and garlic and continue to saute. Add remaining ingredients, stirring in cabbage last. Bring to a boil and simmer until carrots are tender. Adjust seasonings if needed.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lori! Thats sounds like a pretty good soup, we had soup for lunch today, but it was low calorie progresso soup or something, probably not as good. Anyway, I made a blog, if you wanted to check it out, it's called: mykandyland.blogspot.com
    ~Mckenna

    ReplyDelete