Monday, February 9, 2009

Gratitude

Today I'm counting my blessings, and I should do it more often. These aren't in any special order; I'm just putting them down as they come off my brain and through my fingers:
  • The Savior. He is my rock and my foundation. Surely He has borne our griefs and knows us far better than we know ourselves. Oh sweet, the joy this sentence gives, "I know that my Redeemer lives!"
  • Primary. I love the plain and simple truths of the Gospel that are taught in Primary. Lately I've stressed about teaching the kids "How Firm a Foundation," but in this world of shifting priorities, what better lesson can we teach? And once again, in preparing to teach others, I have become the student and have learned far more.
  • Family. What sweeter blessing is there on this earth than the joy of families? And the great thing about families is you can keep adding people, and there's still more than enough love to go around. Thanks, mom and dad, for creating such a great family that now extends far beyond what anyone envisioned when you got married 50+ years ago.
  • Missionaries. Elder Smith and Elder Shenk, you ROCK!! What a blessing to have known you these last few weeks. (Elder Smith's mission ends this week and he's returning to Bakersfield, CA for a few days, and then he's headed to BYU. Keep the faith, Elder! Elder Shenk is getting a new companion this week - and we know that the new team is going to be a powerful force for good in the Lockport Ward of the Buffalo, NY Stake.) We love the other missionaries who serve/ have served in our area and the spirit they bring to all of our interactions. We love being a small part of the missionary work that is blossoming in western NY.
  • Blue skies and sunshine. After what feels like months of snow without end, we've had a few days of winter blue skies, sunshine, and temperatures above freezing. A little sunshine makes everything better.
  • Friends. The lines between friends and family are completely blurred in my life. My family members are my closest friends, and my friends are my family. Thanks for bringing me back to earth when I freak out, making me laugh, sharing my tears, giving me strength, helping me find wisdom, and just blessing my life in thousands of ways, great and small. There's something about girlfriends that men just don't understand (thank goodness)!
  • Indoor plumbing and central heat. You don't think these are blessings? Well, just try to live without them. I should probably put these at the top of the list when I think about the alternatives. . .
  • Cavaliers from Mrs. Cavanaughs. If you know Mrs. Cavanaugh's (handmade candies - started in Bountiful, UT), nothing else needs to be said. Cavanaugh's calls them Cavaliers, but they're turtles. OK, not quite as fabulous as the ones my Aunt Janet Clark or grandma Mazie used to make, but definitely in the top 2 or 3.
  • Temples. It's at least 6 hours roundtrip for us to do a session at the Palmyra Temple. But what a blessing to be able to visit that beautiful, sacred building and then to look out the west window of the central foyer and see the Sacred Grove. I was blessed to live for years within 15 minutes of the Bountiful, UT temple, and within an hour or less of 5 other temples, and didn't realize that for the blessing it was. I'm so thankful for the ordinances that take place in temples and the way they bless our lives and bring families together. I'm thankful for the peace that enfolds you as you walk through the temple doors and shed the worries of the world.
  • My sweet husband, Mark. Blessings have flowed into my life since I met him. He honors his priesthood, loves his family, loves my family, magnifies his calling, works hard, strives each day to do better than the one before, is incredibly disciplined, loves to learn new things, and makes me want to do better just by being around him. He catches me (literally) when I fall and makes me feel beautiful.
Sometimes bad things happen to people you love - not through neglect, or malice, or sin, but just because we live in a mortal, imperfect world. We can either grow bitter and blame God or the fates or another person. Or we can choose faith, love, and appreciation for all that's good in the world, if we will just reach out and see it. That's what I'm doing tonight - choosing to see the good. And it is a good night!

4 comments:

  1. Lori, You are such a great person and I hope it is okay that I read your blog. It will bring your influence back into my life. I have missed seeing you often the last few years. Having you for a counselor was one of my smartest moves. Possibly one of my few inspired moves. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, you're awesome. I loved this post. Normally, I don't need to be reminded about Gratitude, but the last couple of years have tested that. We all have so much to be grateful for...and when I remember that and think of the things I love, it always brings watery eyes! One of the things I am grateful for is having you as a friend. How blessed am I!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How good it is to be reminded of gratitude! I love reading your blog. You inpire me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your feelings about what you are grateful for! I think we all need to take a few moments each day and remember what we are thankful for. You totally inspire me and I sure miss you!

    ReplyDelete