Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What went right?

Hearts are full today as sweet baby Madison Caylee Gochenour, first daughter of Cheron and Jared, and first grandchild of Mark and Lori, was laid to rest in Portland, Oregon.

Things seemed to be going well with Cheron's pregnancy until about 2 weeks ago, when suddenly they weren't. Madison was born at just over 4 1/2 months and weighed 1 lb. 9 ounces. She was beautiful and just fit into her mom's hand.

From the day we heard that she was coming, we loved her. Hearts swelled in anticipation of her arrival. That's the beautiful thing - with love, there's always room to love more. So where it's easy to ask, "what went wrong?" I think I need also to ask instead, "what went right?" Because much has gone right:

  • There's been an outpouring of love from the entire family.
  • We've been more patient with each other.
  • Prayers have been more prevalent, and more sincere.
  • Faith has increased.
  • We've experienced the tender mercies of the Lord.
  • We each, in our own way, have sought - and found - greater understanding.
  • We've trusted the one true physician and healer, and come to understand that His will is based on knowing the end from the beginning. Our perspectives are limited and mortal, but His is eternal. And as much as we love Madison, He loves her more than we can begin to comprehend.
  • We've prayed for peace and comfort, and have been blessed with both.
So while there are tears, lots of them, it isn't heartache I feel - just the growing pains of a heart continuing to expand to feel even more love.

2 comments:

  1. Lori I have been out of blogging lately so I just heard but I wanted to say how sorry I am. The plan of happiness is truly a gift and we are lucky that we can find comfort in knowing. If Cheron hasn't received the book Tear Soup you should get it for her. It was my favorite. I'll be praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, I too have been a non-blogger lately. I am so sorry to hear about your granddaughter. Your thoughts about the experience are beautiful. There are truly so many things that are "right" because of the gospel. Thank you for sharing. My prayers are with your family and daughter-in-law.

    ReplyDelete