Friday, February 20, 2009

My New Favorite Pan


Anyone who knows me, knows I love to cook. And now I love to cook even more. I don't normally go into raptures about pans, but that was before I discovered the 6-quart Lodge Color Enamel Dutch Oven in Island Spice (red). It's beautiful and functional, and things cooked in it come out like a dream.
OK, I'll admit that I've coveted for years another brand of enamel dutch oven, but just couldn't justify the expense, which is about 5 times what the Lodge cost (about $60 at Target). Can't think of a better use for the Target gift cards we received for our wedding. Thanks, everyone!My coveting days are over and I'm sold on this great pan.
Case in point: I made Viennese Stew in it the other night. It came out perfectly, and the pan was easy to clean up. (I did spray it with Pam before adding the ingredients.)
If you are concerned about maintaining cast iron, set your worries aside. This ISN'T the pan you take camping (use the traditional Lodge pans for that). This deserves a place of honor in your kitchen. Just be careful not to drop it or bash the enamel.
Viennese Stew a.k.a. 'Nam stew (a Smith family favorite)
2 lbs pork shoulder roast
2 1/2 tsp salt (divided)
1 tsp pepper (divided)
1 1/2 cups onions, finely sliced
6 TB butter (I use less)
3 large potatoes, sliced
2 carrots, sliced (I use 3-4)
2 cups cabbage, chopped or shredded
2 tsp caraway seeds
1 cup beef broth
Cut pork into 1-inch cubes and brown. Season with 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Saute onion in butter and reserve leftover butter.
In a greased 2-quart casserole dish, arrange half of the potato slices. Sprinkle with a little of the salt and pepper. Make successive layers of teh pork, carrots, onions, and cabbage. Sprinkle with the caraway seeds and remaining salt and pepper. Pour reserved butter over the top, then add the broth.
Cover the casserole and bake at 375 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Remove cover and bake 15 minutes longer. Serve directly from the casserole dish. Serves 6.
I made 1 1/2 recipes (plus extra carrots, onions, and cabbage) to fit in the 6-quart dutch oven.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I don't think I have made that for years. This makes me want it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete